WESTCHESTER COUNTY AIRPORT – HPN
HPN airport is constructed on land purchased before World War II. During the war, the U.S. Army fighter planes defended New York City from here. In 1944, the airport was returned to the county and opened for civilian use the following year, with commercial flights beginning in 1948. The Air National Guard had a base here from 1952-1983. This 700-acre, two runway airport is also known as White Plains Airport.